VIVID Sydney 2017
26th May – 17th June 2017
VIVID Sydney is back for it’s ninth year in 2017, and is bigger, bolder, and brighter than before! As the world’s largest festival of lights, music, and ideas, VIVID Sydney incorporates the famous Festival Light Walk from The Rocks to Circular Quay, as well as displays at Darling Harbour, Taronga Zoo, Chatswood, Darling Harbour, the Royal Botanic Garden Sydney, and new this year Barangaroo. The sails of the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge will both again be illuminated as part of the Festival Light Walk.
The city will light up for a total of 23 nights, and in addition to the light displays, this year’s festival features a diverse line up of music, including performances by trailblazing UK electronic dance outfit Goldfrapp, folk-rock masters Fleet Foxes, indie rock band Dappled Cities, Grammy Award-winning Jazz singer Dianne Reeves, plus the Ideas program headlined by American contemporary artist, Shepard Fairey.
The Russell Boutique Hotel Top 5 VIVID Experiences
- Festival Light Walk – the most iconic part of the VIVID festival, the walk winds through The Rocks and Circular Quay and features over 60 individual light displays. Every night throughout VIVID.
- Fleet Foxes at the Opera House – this amazing US indie-rock band will perform over four nights, their only Australian performances in 2017. Tickets will be allocated via a ballot system. 26th – 29th May.
- Sails of the Opera House – this is a must see every year during VIVID. The theme for the installation this year is ‘Audio Creatures’, and will feature fantastic colours of sea creatures, plants and birds. Every night throughout VIVID.
- Robowars – yes, it is exactly what it sounds like. Hand made robots battle it out in an arena for ultimate robot supremacy. Sun 11th
- Lights for the Wild at Taronga Zoo – giant animal light sculptures that aim to raise awareness of the conservation efforts of the zoo. All ticket proceeds go towards Taronga Zoo Conservation and Wildlife Care programs. Every night throughout VIVID.
For those looking for accommodation in a fantastic location, right on the doorstep of many of the must see light installations and performance venues for music concerts, The Russell Boutique Hotel is the perfect choice, and is your home away from home in The Rocks. With so much to see, we recommend a two night stay, with Sunday and Monday nights being the quietest nights to explore the festival.
To view the whole program, visit the VIVID Sydney website.
- 5% discount on best available rate
- Complimentary continental breakfast & wifi
- Flexible cancellation terms
Why Stay With Us?
We’re your home away from home! The Russell Boutique Hotel is a unique and historic boutique hotel with 30 individually designed rooms, offering warm and friendly service located in the heart of The Rocks, Sydney. All guests at The Russell Boutique Hotel also receive access to our sitting room and private rooftop courtyard, complimentary continental breakfast, complimentary wifi, and one of the best locations in Sydney.